Thursday, September 29, 2011

Toro Y Moi Interview and Awesome New Artist Discoveries!





Hey All!

Hope the week has been going well! Personally, it's been HUGE for me!

In addition to working for CollegeDJ, I have been busy with my radio show, planning Niteskool's Rock at the Rock, and going to shows.

This past Saturday, I had the opportunity to see Toro Y Moi perform at Lincoln Hall and interview Chaz Bundick for my weekly radio show, which airs Wednesdays on WNUR from 2-4pm CST. Additionally, I got to chat with Becca Kauffman, one of three female vocalists from Brooklyn-based group Ava Luna. (A picture of me with Chaz and Becca can be found above.) In addition to Kauffman, the impressive 7-piece soul band consisted of Ethan Bassford on Bass, Julian Fader on Drums, Nathan Tompkins on Synth, Felicia Douglass on Vocals, Anna Sian on Vocals, and Carlos Hernandez as the only male vocalist. I enjoyed their mix of funky, offbeat and soulful sounds so much that I bought their 3rd Avenue Island /Services EP on vinyl at the show. So sonically pleasing--I hope that they come in to Airplay to do a live session next time they come to the Chicagoland area. Check them out on bandcamp please!



Unknown Mortal Orchestra, who had come from playing a gig at Reckless Records was also part of the line-up that evening and the crowd went WILD when they came on stage. On the heels of their Self-Titled album, the three-piece, Fat Possum Records band played some of their most popular tracks, "How Can U Luv Me" and "Boy Witch" with drummer Julien Ehrich going nuts. (Check them out here!)

As for Chaz Bundick, the mastermind behind Toro Y Moi, the man had a few interesting things to say. He wanted to call me "Hooty", which I found totally amusing. When asked what his dream show would be, he said that his dream show would be at the superbowl with Kanye and Taylor Swift!


I aired exclusive audio clips from my time with Chaz yesterday.


Listen to some exclusive clips from Lincoln Hall 9/24 below:





No comments:

Post a Comment