Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Damnwells At WNUR--and Folk You




Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting Alex Dezen of The Damnwells, along with members of the band, Harper Blynn, which not only serves as The Damnwell's back up band, but is the opening band as Alex Dezen tours. I had the benefit of hearing a couple of great tunes off of The Damnwell's latest release, No One Listens to the Band Anymore, as well as getting an introduction (and free CD) from Harper Blynn.
I booked The Damnwells to come into WNUR a few months back, seeing that they would be performing at Evanston, SPACE on April 15th. My knowledge of them goes back to around 2007 when I first heard the song, Golden Days on a TV radio station that I had turned on. Meeting the Brooklyn-based band was truly a pleasure, and singing along to "Feast of Hearts", and "Werewolves", two songs off of the new release, was delightful as Dezen played the stripped down, acoustic set, with the members of Harper Blynn, Pete Harper, J. Blynn, and Sarab Singh all adding delicate harmonies.

When I am back in New York, I will be sure to catch one of their gigs if I don't see them when they're back in Chicago playing at Schubas on May 17th first!


Unfortunately, I couldn't make their gig last night at SPACE because I had a gig of my own as part of the Folk You showcase down at The Horseshoe. It was a chill round robin, led by Larry O. Dean, and gave me a chance to play some of my newest material on a relaxing night before flying home to the East Coast early this morning.

I had the chance to talk to full-time gigging musician, Michael Heaton and gain some insight into how musicians support themselves and manage to get married, finance a house, etc. while doing what they love...

Overall, a productive day of music in the life of yours truly and her headphones.


Peace.Love.Music

Kara Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment