Thursday, February 10, 2011

Music-Filled Tuesday Night Madness!

So two days ago, I played my first official midwest gig at Uncommon Ground downtown off the Sheridan stop on N. Clark Street. I had been asked to open for my friend, Kim Schaefer, who has a residency there for every Tuesday in February. Kim is an incredibly talented guitarist and banjo player, and her songs tell stories similar to those told by Johnny Cash and Elvis in song traditions of Nashville. Her newly released EP, Holy Roller is awesome and definitely worth a gander.

In light of last week's blizzard, Kim's friend Jake Davis also played with us, because the gig had been cancelled. Davis is a native of Nashville, where he had an awesome folk/acoustic/indie rock band called Blue Cadet Three. It was great to hear his tunes and make some awesome new musical connections. Overall, I had a wonderful time hearing other folk artists and staying cozy inside, away from the 3degree weather.


After the gig, guitar in tow, I headed over to the Kinetic Playground, where I saw Sex Fist, a four piece bluegrass band with mandolin, bass, drums, and guitar that has a Tuesday residency at the club. For a bluegrass band, they have a pretty interesting following: a combination of hippies, stoners, and jammers all out on a Tuesday night at a club that usually houses Dubstep artists and DJs. It was definitely a sight to see, and since my friend knew the mandolin player from a trip abroad, I got a chance to chat with him about the band's upcoming tour to the west coast and then to Europe. When they get back in the spring, I will likely have an opportunity to open for them, which I welcome with open arms!

A productive and fun Tuesday night.

Peace.Love.Music

-Kara Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment