Friday, January 28, 2011

A Special Gig for DM!

Last night, I had the opportunity to open for Ezra Furman of Ezra and the Harpoons. He is a native of Evanston and has been on tour nationally with his band, so meeting him felt pretty cool. Along with me, The Main Men opened the concert. They consist of Chris Kim on Keys, Mike Johnson on Guitar and vocals, Zach Levine on Drums, and Bryant Millet on Bass and Trumpet. They are a really rocking little band with a great dynamic and clear Beatles influences. (All but the drummer lived in my dorm freshman year, and they would ALWAYS cover the Beatles and other groovy '60s and '70s bands of the same ilk.)

As for Ezra, he's amazing solo with a quirky personality that is infectious and an instant hit. He asked me shyly, "Are you staying for my set? If I break a string can I borrow your guitar?" The Tufts graduate of 2008 has been on the scene with his band for a few years and is due to release a new album in April. He's a man of few actions but all he does and says seems to be in earnest and his songs seem to be the only small gateway into his somewhat bizarre and "sheepish" personality as highlighted in "I Wanna Be a Sheep". I am excited to follow him and his band further and felt very happy to open for him.





No comments:

Post a Comment